February 2, 2011

White Stripes Fade to Black

Alas, the White Stripes are no more. Such a mix of emotions from this event. For those who loved the band and all its mystique, I'm sure today was a surprise and somewhat of a disappointment after three-ish years of no touring and no new albums since the "not so much a last hurrah of an album" Icky Thump. *Sigh* I guess we should've seen this moment coming, though, as in recent years Jack White has been focusing his efforts on side projects (maybe they're not really side projects anymore?) like The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather.
While it's been pretty obvious that Jack White's efforts have been elsewhere, the news does come as a shock to me as a fan of the band and a fan of music in general. I guess myself and some other Stripes (check the official goodbye statement here) fans have been holding out for some kind of tour in the near future, some kind of reconvening of the band in any shape or form. But Jack White has always done his things in his own way.
As a way to commemorate and remember the music of a great band that hopefully will retain relevance to at least those who listen and follow music (and Jack White has surely made his mark on contemporary and some would say even classic rock), today's post is going to have a little playlist of maybe some lesser known songs that really show the band's style, grace, ability and adaptability.
PS: Check out this Rolling Stone article about Jack White and his help in shaping the last decade of music
PLAYLIST
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
You've Got Her In Your Pocket
Hello Operator
One More Cup of Coffee
A Martyr For My Love For You

BONUS!!! LIVE WHITE STRIPES!

3 comments:

  1. It's a shame, my kids and I loved their music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a shame they were awesome. I do like some of Jack White's new stuff though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could've gotten to see them in concert too

    ReplyDelete